Tuesday, March 25, 2008

One quick note on basketball

Since I pretty much shot all my great blog topics off yesterday...

Ralph Wiley at ESPN.com was the radio topic of conversation on my drive home. Apparently this guy gave several reasons why the NCAA tournament has lost some of its luster this year and for the average fan, the NBA playoff race was far more entertaining, and has pretty much grabbed the spotlight. His argument goes, if your alma mater isn't still in the tournament, you lost interest already, and the NBA has much more interesting stories.

I don't know. Could someone have gotten into the cheap drugs? Could he be more wrong? I not only disagree. The NBA isn't even a close 10th behind NASCAR in my sports priorities, where golf, hockey, baseball, football, the women's NCAA Tournament, tennis, and soccer, along with the men's NCAA tournament (in no particular order) outdistance them both. Not only that, I'd be willing to et most average fans would tend to agree with me. I came to work yesterday and people who have no normal interest in college hoops were congratulating me on Villanova hanging in the tournament. People are discussing how mangled their bracket is after the weekend. There's no such talk here of...oh, the Celtics, or the Suns, or the Rockets recently ended winning streak. Nobody cares much. You can say it's because we're not an NBA town, and while that's true, we're not a big college basketball town either. If you live in Dallas or Denver, Phoenix or Boston, L.Aaaa...never mind...not even L.A., the NBA might matter more to you, but the rest of the country is yawning over your playoff run, and March Madness is still March Madness, with everything that goes with it...despite Billy Packer and his pompous bahookie. You want interesting stories? The Curry kid from Davidson...or Shack in Phoenix? Kobe or Hansbrough? I mean...c'mon.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home