Monday, March 24, 2008

what a weekend

First there were happenings inside the Lumberyard household. Like most, if not all, states, Florida doesn't give you a new license plate for your car every year. You get the little annual sticker things that go up in the corner, until they figure you've done that long enough, and tell you it's time for a new plate. Well, it was time for the wife's car to get a new plate. Since I recently got my Share the Road plate, not because the state said it was time for a new one, but because I wanted it, she thought maybe she should have a specialty plate. She didn't want to do the Share the Road thing, because that's my deal. She wanted something that was more "her", or so the story went. She looked at all the choices (and Florida has quite a few) and finally pretty much decided on one that benefits the Florida Heart Research Foundation. I thought, "OK, that's pretty cool." She and the youngster went to the tag office Thursday, and she was getting ready to get the Heart tag, and the youngster intervened....with several "please, please, please" and I don't know what elses...and they came home with....the Gators??? Something more...her? Right. I mean, if you're going to blow off the whole "good cause" thing and go sports, how about at least a team that we support...that we spend money to go to games and watch...like the Jaguars? If you insist on going education, how about a school one of us actually attended? I got home from work, and they showed it to me. All I said was..."Your car...whatever. But if it ever becomes my car, that's the first thing to go."

From there we could only go one direction, and we did. I'm sure someone else noticed...after four days of madness, there's only 16 teams still dancin' in the NCAA tournament, and one of them is that little school from main line Philly. Yes, I'm surprised, and I'm smilin'. OK, that means Kansas is next on the schedule and the Wildcats will be monumental underdogs, but hey, I'm drinkin' the kool-aid and anything can happen.

Lastly...I have another song stuck in my head thanks to the folks at Apple. First there was Feist and her 1-2-3-4 i-pod commercial song. Now we have the pretty Feist-y New Soul by Yael Naim which is in the MacBook Air commercial. The video is pretty clever, too. Do I just not listen to enough new music, or do I watch too many commercials...or both?

Labels: , ,

2 Comments:

Blogger JessieE said...

The Yael Naim CD is awesome. Love the whole thing. Half of it is in Hebrew.

7:15 PM  
Blogger John said...

That usually loses it for me though, when they sing in a language I don't understand. I remember buyin a jazz CD in the 80's (Dave Grusin, I think) where they brought in this South American singer who sang everything in Portuguese. Amazing voice, but I lost interest because it bothered me that I understood nothing that he sang.

7:38 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home